It was a full week before I gather enough courage to press on with the daunting deed.
The first attempt seemed quite easy until I pulled out the waste yarn and found that all of the purl stitches were sew as if they were knit stitches. Of course I ripped it all out and tried again. I had much better results on the second try only missing one stitch that I was able to fix with a imperceivable patch job.
Here are a few photos.
As I mentioned before, the sleeve was started with a provisional cast-on using a separate waste yarn. That wast yarn was removed and the remaining live stitches were transfered to a thin nylon thread.With the top part of the ribbing piece tucked under the bottom part of the sleeve, both pieces were grafted together with a darning needle.A row of thin white nylon cord served as a guide.
Sewing alternated between stitches on the ribbing and the live ones from the sleeve.This photo shows the needle as it entered a stitch in the ribbing. It was then pulled through the next ribbing stitch on the left.
After completing the two rib stitches I switched to the sleeve stitches.These two stitches form a knit stitch.I quickly got into a rhythm of sewing two stitches from the sleeve and then two stitches from the ribbing.When all stitches were completed I removed the waste yarns.
Here are the results.
Not bad, if I do say so myself.