My obsession with the length of the garment is over. I done futzing with it. All that is left to do is to weave the shoulder stitches together, cut the steeks and knit up the bands around the arms and neck.
I had planned to lengthen this vest by 8 rows but realized too late (after knitting almost to the shoulders) that doing so would mean partial pattern repeats where the front and back meet at the shoulders. My cunning plan was to knit a few extra rows on the upper half until I reached an acceptable matching point. That seemed like a good idea until I did a check of the stitch & row tension of the upper portion. Turns out that my stitch tension had relaxed so that the upper front portion was about 3 cm wider than desired.
After pondering this change, I came to the conclusion that stretching the stitches around my 40 cm circular needle wasn’t such a good thing. I should have switched to a shorter needles as the circumference decreased. After a deep breath, I ripped back down past the start of the armhole decreases. This time I decided to stick to the pattern and work with two circular needles for the remaining portion. The length should be just fine after it comes off the woolly board.
Here’s a shot of the back.
Look what arrived on my doorstep late Saturday afternoon. It’s that yarn I ordered from Wollsucht.de. The color way is so pleasing to the eye; very colorful but not shocking. The weight and feel of it brings Satakieli to mind. Perhaps it might think a bit scratchy but not unlike the feel of Jamieson & Smith 2 ply.
It puzzles me that these yarns haven’t made it to North America yet.