Cuffs are done


Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words.

The sleeves will stay as they are.

This week I took a short break to give myself time to think about the sleeves.  At this point I don’t have time to redo anything especially since Jean Wong’s class will be starting in two weeks. Besides, I really do like how it looks.

Collar_startNow it’s onto the collar.

As you can see I’ve only cut the front and back neck steeks and not the one down the center front. There’s a good reason for this.

The other day I was flipping through Feitelson’s book and started reading the Hillswick Lumber pattern because like the Kauni cardigan it has a round neck. This pattern describes how to knit the collar in the round by leaving the center front steek stitches on the needle. What a great idea!

So before I could start knitting the collar (in the round) I had to carefully undo the previously bound off steek stitches and put them on the needle with the other stitches that were on hold.

I started picking up stitches yesterday but then had doubts about the total number of stitches mentioned in the pattern. To get a total of 119 stitches I would have to pick up a stitch every other row on each side of the neck (between the front and back). I seem to remember hearing that stitches picked up along rows should be done at a rate of 3 stitches out of every four rows. PGR’s book (Knitting in the Old Way) says to pick up 2 stitches out of every 3 rounds (rows) for ribbing. If I followed PGR, then I would need a total of ~142 stitches. I’m once again at a point where I need to mull over the situation before proceeding. Not sure what I’ll do.

AngelDuring my short break from the cardigan I started working on Evelyn Clark’s Angel Lace Shawl. It looks like a big blob now but wait until it’s finished. It’s so easy to work away on this that I almost forget that I need to finish the cardigan. For me, Evelyn’s patterns are worry free. At least there are no concerns about fit.