Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words.
The sleeves will stay as they are.
This week I took a short break to give myself time to think about the sleeves. At this point I don’t have time to redo anything especially since Jean Wong’s class will be starting in two weeks. Besides, I really do like how it looks.
Now it’s onto the collar.
As you can see I’ve only cut the front and back neck steeks and not the one down the center front. There’s a good reason for this.
The other day I was flipping through Feitelson’s book and started reading the Hillswick Lumber pattern because like the Kauni cardigan it has a round neck. This pattern describes how to knit the collar in the round by leaving the center front steek stitches on the needle. What a great idea!
So before I could start knitting the collar (in the round) I had to carefully undo the previously bound off steek stitches and put them on the needle with the other stitches that were on hold.
I started picking up stitches yesterday but then had doubts about the total number of stitches mentioned in the pattern. To get a total of 119 stitches I would have to pick up a stitch every other row on each side of the neck (between the front and back). I seem to remember hearing that stitches picked up along rows should be done at a rate of 3 stitches out of every four rows. PGR’s book (Knitting in the Old Way) says to pick up 2 stitches out of every 3 rounds (rows) for ribbing. If I followed PGR, then I would need a total of ~142 stitches. I’m once again at a point where I need to mull over the situation before proceeding. Not sure what I’ll do.
During my short break from the cardigan I started working on Evelyn Clark’s Angel Lace Shawl. It looks like a big blob now but wait until it’s finished. It’s so easy to work away on this that I almost forget that I need to finish the cardigan. For me, Evelyn’s patterns are worry free. At least there are no concerns about fit.